Saturday, January 7, 2012

Mental Toughness

So I've been thinking about stuff a lot today. Mostly about mental toughness and how that plays into all aspects of life. More specifically, how it effects my life and how I can become mentally stronger, and thus a better human being.

For a while I've been my own worst enemy. In high school I ran track and wrestled. Especially in track, I would get halfway through a run or a workout and it would start to get difficult. I'd talk to myself, and tell myself things like "OK Tommy, this is far enough, you've put in a lot of effort. Take this shortcut on the route and walk a bit and make sure you get some rest. You've done a good job." This sort of thinking was easier, yet it was a thousand times worse for me as a person and as an athlete. I thought I was doing something good for myself, but instead I was just hurting myself. My thought process was along the lines of Clint Eastwood, "A man's gotta know his limitations." The problem was that I didn't know what my limitations were, and instead stopped myself short. I did this with other aspects of my training, and I probably suffered for it. This continued up until recently. When I started Crossfit I would get mid-WOD and say "I can't do this," but I'd continue with the WOD, at a pace less than my max.

Within the last couple months, I realized how I was hindering myself. I decided to make a change. I tried pushing myself more and more in each WOD. It wasn't that helpful, but I made some progress. The real improvement came when I watched the 2011 Crossfit Games. It made me realize the incredible lengths I can be capable of if I just put my mind to it. Since then, I have put everything I have and more into each and every WOD. I'm not going to lie, I still get inside my own head, but I'm combating it. How? I may feel like I can't continue any more, but then I count down from 3 and when I reach 1, I force myself into the next rep or round or whatever the task may be. From here it will only get better!

I'm determined to keep this mentality going. I will be a better athlete. I will utilize this mentality in other aspects of my life. I will be the best that I possibly can be, and will strive to help others to push themselves to their full potential as well.

That's all for now, let me know what you think.

- Tommy

1 comment:

  1. Well said! I like your summary where you say that your new attitude will impact other areas of your life. I think that is great! So many times, we limit ourselves. Not you. Not again. There is an old football saying, "You play like you practice." Well you helped me to see that Crossfit is our "practice" and the real game "play" is life! I am inspired!

    ReplyDelete